Wednesday, January 13, 2010

We're Really a 2 Dog Home

I'll split this post into two unrelated subjects. First, I want to share a recipe I made up the other night because it was really, really good if you like pork tenderloin. Then we'll get down to the business of life with Coop.

So first, I'm going to call this:

Sweet Onion Pork

1 pork roast, 3-5 lbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1/3 cup honey, divided
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce (I use Lea & Perrins), divided
small bunch of fresh thyme
1/2 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves
2 heaping spoonfuls of apple butter
1 tsp garlic pepper seasoning
1 tsp cinnamon
water
3 Tbsp butter
6 large carrots, peeled and sliced

1. Trim excess fat from pork roast. Place pork roast in large skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 olive oil, 3 Tbsp honey, and 3 Tbsp worcestershire sauce. Turn roast to coat, and place skillet over medium high heat. Brown pork on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. This seals in the juices to keep it tender.

2. In a 4 qt slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients except water, butter, and carrots and stir to blend. Carefully transfer pork roast to slow cooker, making sure to add the juices from the pan into the slow cooker. Add just enough water so that only the very top of the pork roast is visible and stir carefully until everything is well incorporated. Turn slow cooker on low and let it cook for 5 hours, stirring occasionally.

3. After 5 hours, cube the butter and add to the slow cooker, along with the carrots. Let it cook for 1-2 more hours. Your total cook time should be for 6-7 hours.

I think you can also use chicken stock or white wine instead of water, but I didn't have any when I made this. Great with mashed taters!

Ok, onto other business.

I've decided we really are a 2 dog kind of house. Here's my list of reasons why:

1. Cooper is more active and happy
2. Pete is calmer and more happy
3. I don't feel nearly as bad when I leave to go somewhere when they are together
4. Cooper and Pete are more likely to stay on the dog bed on the floor all night
5. John and I each have a dog to cuddle with
6. Taking them outside is more fun and less of uuuughhhhh, "just do your business already!"
7. They have a constant playmate
8. They learn from each other's good habits
9. They sleep longer from playing harder
10. Showdowns and dog play time is really so much more fun when there are 2 dogs

That said, I wish we could keep the Petey Pete all the time, but I realize that Pete is promoting better health, sharper wits, and exercise for Sammy Boy. I wish we could also take Sammy boy, but Sammy is too old to be moving around again.

On a side note, since I'm not sure I've mentioned it, Pete and Sam are John's 2 dogs that live for the most part, at his Dad's house since his Dad is home more often and can give them more attention. I've taken to picking Pete up and keeping him for a couple of days at a time and now I'm convinced that we really need a 2nd dog around. But I can't steal Petey Pete or Sam and I just don't know if a 4th dog is really what John and I need right now.

Also, if you've never seen a showdown between dogs, it's really something awesome to watch. Just think of Animal Planet style prowling on hardwood floors in an apartment. Staring, staring, sloowwwwwlllly creeping towards each other, staring some more, and then.....POUNCE! And because it's also hardwood, scrambling and flailing become a major part of the Coop and Pete showdowns.

I took Pete home this morning and this afternoon, Cooper has been back to his usual weekday self- lethargic and uninterested. I went on an hour run today (thanking the universe for the BEAUTIFUL weather!) and found him in the same spot I left him in. Come to think of it, while I've been cooling down and writing, he's not moved an awful lot either.

On to finish my chili and polenta for tonight. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment