Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Shedzilla and the Great Winston Churchill

This week, while my friends Tara and Diego romped around Germany, John, Coop, Pete and I looked after their Greyhound, Winston. Winston Churchill, that is. Cooper, who is usually the grand host and ever so accepting of all fellow canines, was nice, but standoffish and definitely a little suspicious at the start. Pete seemed not to notice much, though it was funny to watch him walk beneath Winston when he wanted to get around him.

I can only guess that Coop felt that Winston might be here to stay, and he wasn't thrilled at the prospect. They are so alike in many ways. Coop, when he is not with Pete, is calm and relaxed, and truthfully, he is more than just a little lazy. He is often still asleep on the bed when you get home when he is without Pete. Winston is the same. Calm, relaxed, and lazy.

They are cut from the same dog mold (John has a hankering that Cooper is part greyhound)and for that very reason, Cooper just seemed a little nervous that he might be staying for good and oust from his forever-our-best-behaved-boy standing.

But Winston Churchill will be leaving us tomorrow and Coop can resume his place in the house. Though I suspect that that place will not include eating a whole jar of peanut butter and some raisins(damn dogs).

Also leaving us tomorrow? The second dog Coop carries in his undercoat. That's right. Cooper is getting shedzilla'd tomorrow. I used it a little tonight and I am confident that Coop will drop a good 5 pounds of undercoat tomorrow. Shedzilla, $20 bucks at Walmart or the Furminator, $40 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond. You pick but we unleash the Shedzilla at dawn!

2 comments:

  1. That is the best comb ever!! Otis loses 5 pounds every time I use it! Jake barely has hair that comes off but i could make 5 dogs out of Otis he makes me crazy! You will be amazed at what comes off him. It never stops I swear I could comb him bald!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It kills me- the tail and the haunches are he worst. But it makes petting them sooooo much nicer when tumbleweeds of dog fur aren't falling off.

    ReplyDelete