Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Requirements for Pet Adoption and Cooper's Project Domestication



Cooper is honestly the most well-behaved, sweetest dog you'll ever meet. And I specifically mean that "you" will ever meet. He's definitely the sweetest dog I've ever met, but not always the most well-behaved. He listens and responds often, but when he sees other dogs or gets so worked up he's frantic, I can do almost nothing except dig my heels in and hold onto his leash for dear life. Other people don't see that part.

Because Cooper is such a wonderful puppy, my other friends who have always wanted a dog in their heart of hearts want to get a dog now-in this present moment. I look at them suspiciously with one eyebrow raised and ask them, "Are you sure?".

So here's the short list of things to think about when it comes to getting a pet. If you answer no to more than one of these questions, you are not ready to have a pet.

1. Are you willing to give up happy hours after work or stick to the 1-2 drink minimum and go home at a reasonably early hour?

2. Are you ready to make sure that every night you go out, you come home?

3. Are you willing to take your dog out for multiple walks each day, pick up poo, and spend your free time teaching them how to behave?

4. Are you financially able to provide for another being?

5. Do you have a decent work-life balance and work normal hours?

Because here's the deal, having a dog is like having a kid, but without the 18+ year commitment and the crazy clothing and diaper expenses. Instead, you face a 12-15 year commitment. You are responsible for making sure they get sufficient exercise and bathroom breaks. You are their behavioral role model. You have to buy dog food, crates, crate pads, leashes, collars, expensive toys and bones that will be shredded so quickly you'll wonder why you bought them, heartworm medication, treats, grooming materials, etc. And vet visits are quite pricey even with pet insurance.

I look at many of my friends who now say to me, "awwwwwwaawawwww. I want a dog too!", and I know they aren't ready for that type of commitment. I wasn't even ready for it and then suddenly there I was, at the shelter, signing the papers and swearing to be a good puppy parent. It was one of my best impulse decisions and even though I had thought about it for a long time, it's very clear now that I didn't realize what having a dog entailed.

My co-worker and friend recently said to me, "Sarah, it's like you moved to the suburbs and had a kid." Sadly, it's so true! But I don't have the advantage of a 2nd parent to help me out with random things. For instance, if a supplier wants to come in town and have dinner, I really can't. I have to be home by 6:30 so Coop can go to the bathroom. Invariably, he will always choose those nights where I can't get home until 6:30 to refuse to do his business in the morning so I feel especially guilty about it. I can't get drunk on Friday night now and crash a friend's place. I have to either arrange to cab it home or stay sober and drive home. And I'm suddenly obsessed with sweeping my floors so they aren't covered in Cooper's caramel coat. I'm budgeting and buying the Sunday paper to clip coupons. I'm rationing his food this winter since he's getting less exercise so he won't gain weight. These are all things that real adults do. I'm one husband and a house in the suburbs away from being pushed off a bridge by the girl I was three years ago.

Still, this newly domesticated life has it's advantages. I'm far healthier than I used to be. I take about two 15 minute walks with a 50 lb sled dog dragging me behind him in the awful and freezing Pittsburgh cold. I have an adorably sweet little creature to greet me each night when I come home. And no matter how bad of a night we had before, he is ALWAYS happy to see me. I clean my car a lot more. If I'm going to vaccuum out the back seat and wipe down the windows, no reason to hold off on washing it- I go for the whole kit and caboodle. I'm testing my patience levels everyday. I can actually teach another species things- like sit, stay, lay down, off, up, shake, beg. More than all of that though, there is something profound about dogs and their owners.

They say that dogs can smell things about you that you don't even know about yourself. They know when you are sick and stressed and angry and sad. They smell those chemical releases so even though they don't know what you are saying, they are very aware of how you are feeling. I don't like to be sad and cry in front of other people, but crying with Cooper feels normal. He sits patiently and puts his paw on my shoulder and carefully licks the tears off my face. When I'm energized, he's energized. When I want to lay and around and be lazy, he naps with me. I'm not a morning person and now after several months, neither is he. He lays on his crate bed until I tell him it's time to go out. The synergy of these little things far exceeds what I have given up and changed about my life.

I saw a good friend this weekend for the first time in a few months and brought Cooper with me. Her boyfriend really wants to get a dog and soon, but she is hesitant right now as she is still in school and has an aging cat. I recommended that she go the foster parent route first. Tons of local shelters are in desperate need of foster homes for their animals who are sick and need to heal or really struggle with shelter life. Being a foster parent is a great option for someone who's unsure if they are ready. The shelters provide the food, supplies and healthcare needs of the dog and you get to learn about different breeds, and how your life will change with a dog without making that full time commitment just yet. Plus, you can find out if you want to get a puppy or if you want to get an adult dog who's already got it figured out.

In the meantime, anyone willing to babysit my puppy for the night is more than welcome to it. I've got months of running I desperately need to get back to and a party girl that was quashed inside of me who would like a good night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment